Re: [Usability] GNOME 2.6+ usability: points of critique

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 13:36 +0200, Robert Fendt wrote:
It mainly boils down to two essential points: flexibility and arrogance.
GNOME has been "simplified" more and more for some time now, almost
always at the expense of flexibility and configurability. And when
someone complains, the reactions often are along the lines of "we know
better than you, we will not change it back, so get used to it or get
lost". Want examples? Sure.

I would like an example of someone being told "we know better than you" without evidence to support the claim.  I've heard this complaint regularly from people "about to switch", but I haven't really seen any evidence of it.  I've complained about quite a few things in gnome on mailing lists and IRC, I've never been told "its because we know better".

1) I use a focus scheme usually known as "focus on mouse contact", and
am used to being able to trigger mouse events in a window (i.e.,
'click') _without_ raising it. While Metacity fortunately still can do
this (so the wm itself is not to blame here), why on earth do I have to
set this in a lousy 'regedit' rip-off (which of all things pops up a
window telling me I am not supposed to use it anyway)?

How is a tree-node GUI interface to a complicated XML file a "regedit" ripoff?  There's quite a few configuration values stored in gconf that no-one wants to see - like x y coords for window placement or window size values.  How do you propose to decide which options are in the "front-end" configuration and which are in gconf, or what would be a better interface to gconf?  I'm sure there's a better interface to gconf, but it looks basically like an XML editor.

2) I am used to and can productively work with browse-mode file managers
like Nautilus used to be until GNOME 2.4. In GNOME 2.6 spatial mode was
added. Fair enough. But why does the upgrade simply change the default
behaviour without asking me, seemingly expecting me to re-learn before I
can get any work done? That is quite arrogant. Again: the possibility to
switch off spatial mode was first hidden in the GNOME configuration
editor and only added into the GUI of 2.8 (AFAIK). And yes, I have tried
spatial mode, albeit not for very long. Desktop environments should help
me improve my productivity, not force me to re-learn all the time.

It probably would have been better to have the GUI config for "browse by default" in 2.6, rather than waiting till 2.8.  That said, I don't think a one time move to spacial navigation constitutes "force me to re-learn all the time".

4) Simple details of themes, like the size of icons in applications
cannot be modified. The icon size and arrangement of most themes is
almost ridiculous. At least on a 1024x768 laptop screen. Simple
possibility to reduze size and space between icons? Not that I know of.
This is somewhat configurable in .gtk2rc, iirc

5) Every directory having its own view settings in Nautilus is nice, but
absolute nonsense without a "set this view for all" function. If it does
exist, I did not find it. And manually changing the settings for every
directory I ever visited is quite tedious.
In the file-management capplet the top option is "View new folders with:" and a dropdown.

-Brian