Re: [Usability] GNOME 2.6+ usability: points of critique

Hello Robert,

<snip>
> I am on the verge of switching. Where to? Anything. Essentially just
> away from GNOME. Why? Well that is what this mail is about; just
> silently switching away from the desktop environment I have been using
> for many years just does not feel right.

You start with a religion war.
Your point of view smells like a problem of a generic geek but the
audience of the Gnome is desktop for everyone (like my syster, my
mother and so on...)

<snip>

> 2) I am used to and can productively work with browse-mode file managers
> like Nautilus used to be until GNOME 2.4. In GNOME 2.6 spatial mode was
> added. Fair enough. But why does the upgrade simply change the default
> behaviour without asking me, seemingly expecting me to re-learn before I
> can get any work done? That is quite arrogant.

Yeah!
I agree with you.
But the step from 2.4 to 2.6 is a big change for the future  direction of Gnome.
You're not into a Windows environment where you've to bring zillions
of user from W98 to WXP slowly otherwise you lost you incoming
marketshare...
Although the release system seems to offer a stable mature system
(2.2, 2.4, 2.6, 2.8) Gnome starts its rocking future just from now.
Now we're into the Time-Zero Gnome.
I agree with you for the part related to the migration.
I think now we have to think to a standard way to migrate without pain
(I never had problems migrating from 2.4 to 2.6  into my Debian...but
in the future??).

 Again: the possibility to
> switch off spatial mode was first hidden in the GNOME configuration
> editor and only added into the GUI of 2.8 (AFAIK). And yes, I have tried
> spatial mode, albeit not for very long. Desktop environments should help
> me improve my productivity, not force me to re-learn all the time.

Again...
Just one time.
Nowadays you cannot use something different from a navigational mode
or a spatial one.
Gnome goes spatial.The decision was made.

<snip>
> given time I am sure I could still
> extend that list quite a bit.

Is absolutely fundamental that you rave this problems to the Gnome community.
You cannot make only simple critics.
Using a scientific pseudo-method you must supply the just reasonings,
in order to make to be worth your hypotheses.

> Their combination has reached a point
> where using GNOME has become one big annoyance.

This is for you...not for the rest of the world...

> Regards,
> Robert

nothing personal against you,
just my 2 cents,

Luca Cappelletti

--
---
Luca Cappelletti

"...Together we stand, divided we fall."

.O.
..O
OOO