Re: [Usability] Some usability feedback

Kalle Vahlman wrote:

For showing the results, hiding the non-matching items sounds like a
bad idea. If I type 'abd' when I really mean 'abc', it would hide the
real target. But the worst thing is that it looks like the items are
disappearing, possibly without any indication why this is happening or
a obvious way to cancel the process.
I must say I am not that convinced. Suppose the quick-search box is always visible, and that it _blinks_ very apparently when not empty. Then it seems to me that both problems you raised are solved: 1. the user could fail to notice he typed `abd' instead of `abc', and 2. he would never be puzzled why some files have disappeared, because he is constantly reminded the files are being narrowed.

Instead, the view could be altered so that the items having exact
match could be at 100% opacity, items having partial match at 66% and
the rest at 33%.
But, most of the time a search matches very few items. Most items would be greyed out, and it would be difficult to locate the important ones. The user would need to scroll a lot, or you would have to supply "goto next" button, which would complicate things. And for what?

Also, since we are categorizing the items, they
should be also ordered by relevance. This would have the following
benefits:

- visual feedback of the matches
- no files are lost from the view
- sequental matches would show up
- typing errors have less effect on the results
I'm afraid I don't follow you here :)

(I also don't get why you think that who needs a recursive search, and is using spatial mode, should not be able to have the search folder entered automatically in gnome-search-tool.)

Cheers,
Maurizio