Re: [Usability] Volume Control Consistency between Rhythmbox and To tem

On 24 May, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
>  I know that, but this is a somewhat confusing concept.
>  Your hifi-set probably doesn't have separate volume controls for each
>  component. If you have a mixer panel, then all sliders are neatly aligned
>  and you don't have to go hunting for them.

I don't think the analogy helps - a hi-fi system isn't as flexible as a
computer.  E.g. it won't mix and play multiple separate sound streams
independently and simultaneously.

>  This brings me to the concept of the Sensible GNOME Volume Control: each
>  opened program that accesses the sound server makes itself known
>  (preferably via DBUS with fallback for non-GNOME programs). The SGVC then
>  shows sliders for each of those processes, instead of incomprehensible
>  sliders for 'PCM', 'FM' and stuff like that ( sound sources like
>  Microphone and Line-In stay of course).

Since this started from a discussion of a couple of sound applications,
are you saying that these should be coded so that they only work for
Gnome?

Surely a better thing would just be to avoid the confusion of using, in
similar applications, similar-looking icons for quite different
functions?

luke