Re: [Usability] Re: Context Menus for Tabs in MDI Apps

Hi,

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, pborelli katamail com wrote:

I largely agree with your points but would like to add some things:

> the feature seems to be used at least by someone else beside me :-) For
> what it's worth Mozilla has such a context menu too.

Yes, Mozilla and Firefox both have it, and IIRC Galeon has/had it too.
Mistakes made in Mozilla/Firefox is that the tab context menu also shows
options that have effects on other tabs, like 'Close other tabs', 'Reload
all tabs', 'New Tab'. Mozilla makes it worse by placing 'Close tab' and
'Close other tabs' next to each other.

Useful options IMO include 'Close', 'Reload' and 'Detach'.
Perhaps also 'Move', as a complement to dragging tabs in a different
order. Think of it like Alt+F7 for Metacity. Good for a11y as well (but
can you

> > Personally, i think that it's quite "undiscoverable" (although if it
> > was a standard maybe it would be more obvious?) since "normal" tabs

I don't think undiscoverability is a problem here as long as essential
functionality is also available through other, more obvious, methods.

> maybe from "Close" but that would be probably redundant since we have a
> close button on the tab.

Redundancy is not really a problem in context menus :)

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen			Artificial Intelligence student
email: reinout cs vu nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778