Re: [Usability] Lightening up the XDG menu

On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 14:29, Ryan McDougall wrote:

> My two cents (forgive my ignorance of the XDG standard) : I think we
> should specify what gets shown to the screen on a role basis. Perhaps we
> can have one .desktop file Called "Editor" that has subfields
> InGnome=gedit, InKDE=kedit, Default=emacs, etc. That way each dekstop's
> menu could choose whether to show their only own items, only GNOME+KDE's
> items, or only default items, etc.

Mandrake does this to some extent with their task-based "what to do"
menu; the applications are all listed in the main menu, but there is
also a task menu, with subcategories like Use the internet -> Browse
the Web, which invokes konqueror or Galeon (or epiphany or mozilla)
depending on what you have installed and whether you're in KDE or Gnome
(or neither).

I find I use it a lot, perhaps because I remember I want to read email
more easily than the name of the email program I'm using.  Maybe it's a
sign of old age :-)

Liam

Ankh: irc.sorcery.net www.valinor.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org www.advogato.org