Re: [Usability] The New File Selector

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 18:25:55, Ryan McDougall wrote:

[...]

However, for lots of people they either want or need a text entry, since
it is naturally a very powerful tool, so it is still there. I repeat its
not gone, it has not been removed! In nautilus, to jump to a new
location, the keystroke is Ctrl-l, and they both look and behave the
same as text entries.

What if instead of making GoTo a popup we keep it in the window but hidden (folded) and make Ctrl-L toogle its visibility. That way we could have a gconf key to make it default visible.

My only problem with the current setup is that in nautilus there "jump
to location" function has a menu entry which is easily discoverable just
by browsing the menus. However, the file chooser appears to have no
means for a user to discover the text entry. I can imagine people coming
to the system and simply concluding that there IS NO text entry, just
because they can't find it!

I have no good solution for this. There could be a visible clue (button) to make it visible but I admit that might defeat the original purpose.

Hope the above helps, but its not the definitive answer, in case someone
wants to flame me for being wrong -- its just my analysis of the
situation.

Thanks!

--
Carlos Morgado - chbm(a)ma.ssive.net - http://chbm.net/ 0x1FC57F0A FP:0A27 35D3 C448 3641 0573 6876 2A37 4BB2 1FC5 7F0A