Re: [Usability] totem = video or media player ?

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 11:13, Julien Olivier wrote:
> > Disagree. See how popular visualization plugins are. I love to stare at
> > goom, it's incredible what it does :) It's pretty cool to use it as a
> > screensaver (sortof, having it in fullscreen mode) or have a look at it
> > while relaxing if you're working...
> >

> I agree that they are nice and all, but they are not a basic feature
> that all audio players should have. They should just be an option in the
> audio player as opposed to a must-have feature in a video player.

Agreed but catalogizing music in a db isn't a basic feature either.

> > lots of users need to catalogue their music, lots of them need fancy
> > visualization plugins and simple playlists.  :)
> >

> What I don't get is (visualization plugin apart): what's missing in
> Rhythmbox for it to handle "simple playlists" the way you want it to ? I
> mean, how is Rhythmbox different from XMMS when you just put a few files
> in your library ?

A presence of a library is what makes the difference. No need to import
folders or locations, just drag & drop an audio file. Simple
functionality to reorganize tracks(move up/down, remove). Hiding the
playlist and just looking at the current track information(title,
elapsed time). Fancy stuff if available or possible - skins,
visualization plugins.

If you want to organize your music then rhythmbox is to totem what
abiword is to gedit.

Marek