Re: [Usability] File menu applet

Daniele Levorato wrote:

Thanks,
however I know there's even a way even to start Nautilus in the
old-style using a command line parameter. The problem is not new
nautilus vs. old nautilus (I'm really using gnome 2.4 so I can't use
spatial nautilus at all) but to find a more usable way (than the
term-commands and than nautilus) to quickly browse filesystem... and
this "way" should be accessible from menu or panel (the only desktop
elements that can be always on top and directly accessible without
iconifying all the other windows).
I really can't find anything more usefull than a "file menu" applet from
the gnome-panel or gnome-menu (like KDE does).

I agree, we need a simple way to navigate the file system. The spatial mode
fit the needs of most everyday users that have their own files in their home directories. For system administraiotn annd other situations where you need deep folder structures it we need some way of quickly navigate to a different part of the file system.

My suggestion is that we expand the functionality of the popup menu in the bottom left corner of spatial nautilus windows. Today the menu items consists of the directory hierarchy to /. Why not expand this so that it even contained the sibling direcories on
in a submenu at each level. E.g:

/
/home>|/usr
           |/etc
           |/var
           |/opt

But for this to work we would probably need a new type of popup menu. One that doesn't pop up the popup until the mouse is moved out on the arrow. That way the base element
of the menu would be selectable on its own.

Regards
Uno Engborg