Re: [Usability] Placement of delete options in Right-click menu, and modifier key to force move?

W liście z pon, 19-07-2004, godz. 13:42, Vidar Braut Haarr pisze:
> >>Second, when moving files between partitions, it defaults to copying
> >>instead of moving, which is fine, but the only way to get it to move
> >>is to hold alt while releasing the drag-drop, and selecting "Move
> >>here" from the popup menu. I'd like to suggest that the shift key be
> >>used to force a move in this case.
>
> I vote for "Move" as the default action, as that is the most natural
> thing to do with a real, physical, file. You don't copy it by dragging
> it from one "folder" to another - you move it.

Well, I can see a reason for having default action dependant on whether
it's the same or different partition. That's because reverting move in
"same" case is cheap, while in "different" it's not (you have to copy
whole file back again). But I agree, Shift should definitely work as
modifier, it's counter-HIGish for it not to (and annoying, too :)

Cheers,
Maciej

--
"Tautologizm to coś tautologicznego"