Re: [Usability] Placement of delete options in Right-click menu, and modifier key to force move?

Second, when moving files between partitions, it defaults to copying
instead of moving, which is fine, but the only way to get it to move
is to hold alt while releasing the drag-drop, and selecting "Move
here" from the popup menu. I'd like to suggest that the shift key be
used to force a move in this case.

I vote for "Move" as the default action, as that is the most natural thing to do with a real, physical, file. You don't copy it by dragging it from one "folder" to another - you move it.

I'd be curious to hear why it's better for Nautilus to behave
differently when dragging between filesystems; I would have assumed
that consistent behaviour would have been more useful, particularly
given that it's really not obvious when two folders are actually on
different filesystems. What's wrong with having Nautilus always move
when dragging with no modifiers held down, and always copy when
dragging with Shift held down (or vica versa)?

I completely agree. As bandwith limits approach levels where local vs. remote/LAN storage has little effect on speed, I think we'll see more and more people getting small computers around their house, and a central storage. Computers for everything. Instead of the way it is now, where people buy home hifi-sets that can broadcast the signal to another reciever in your kitchen, and instead of having TVs and radios all over, people will just have 1 computer in each room with a variably large LCD display.

Now I'm blabbering again :) In any case, the above scenario - coupled with "internet2" - tells me that the "remote" sense has already been, and will be further in the future, abstracted away from the user. So why not in Nautilus ?

Just my 2 NOK. And now for my coffee.

--
Vidar Braut Haarr
"Programmers don't die, they