Re: [Usability] Re: Suggestion for the actual UI of GTK+'s NewFileSelector

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 20:20 -0800, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
> I honestly do not see the big deal for this window not be more long
> horizontally because this is usually the shape most preference panels have,
> so it is not like it came from another planet or something.
> I personally believe that the current design is intuitive and follows a
> logical order of doing things.

A logical order of doing things that for a well programmed program will
not actually be necessary most of the time.

Your design is based on the idea that the first thing the user does is
change to one of the favourites directories before loading the file.
This should hopefully not be the most common operation. The most common
one I would expect to be the simple case of "loading a file in the
current directory".

Not to mention the fact that if the favourites is down the left hand
side, its still the first thing that you see in the dialog, it just
doesn't look wrong. And I think that the fact that everyone has
commented that it looks wrong, should say that its something more than
just not being used to it.

I've not read everything in this thread, but I expect that other people
will have pointed out that with a vertical list you end up getting more
space for the file names and the favourites list for less vertical
screen estate.

That said, I do like the path thingy, although it did take me a minute
to work out how it worked.

iain