Re: [Usability] totem = video or media player ?

> > IMNSHO if it can handle both audio and video it will always be a media
> > player. The backend determines that in this case. Doesn't matter to
> > which extent a user uses certain capabilities.
> >

> You're right that it will always be a media player, but from UI point of
> view, it's very difficult to have one application that handles music and
> video in a perfect way.

Depends on what you consider as a perfect way. For example Rhythmbox is
overweight for my daily usage since it's not really about playlists,
it's more about _catalogizing_ music.

>  Playing one "media" file is OK, but what about
> having a way to modify ID3 tags, does it have its place in a video
> player ?

AFAIK both audio and video files can contain metadata information.

> And what about preferences about screen size ? How does it
> relate to music playing ?

Visualization plugins.

> As you see, you can mix a video player and music player together, but it
> will always be a mix of 2 apps, not 1 perfect app for both video and
> music. And that's why it would be better to have totem for video and
> rhythmbox for music IMO.

Don't force me to use rhythmbox for music :)
RB is cool but i just want to have my simple playlist where i can throw
both audio and video files.

> But, by the way, it's getting way off-topic, sorry :)

It's not at all off-topic if you suggest default locations for open/save
file dialogs.

I think having /media for all is ok.
That concerns
/media/audio or music