[Usability] Re: [Yet Another] New File Chooser Design

On 2004-02-25, Federico Mena Quintero <federico ximian com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 00:46, Luke Hutchison wrote:
>

> The right way to design a user interface is to write a functional
> specification, that is, a list of things that users will want to do with
> that user interface.  In the case of the file chooser, it involves:
>
> - For File/Open, it should allow selecting files.
>   - To make it easy to see which file is which, it needs a preview facility.
>   - How can we make file selection easier?  Allow sorting by date, etc?
>   - There should be an easy way to select common locations like Home,
>     Documents, CD-ROM, floppy.
>   - Bookmarks for commonly-used folders?

And files should be shown in the 'list' view as on Windows explorer or 'ls'
default view on *nix. The current detail view is too wasteful and
distractive. It makes finding right file very hard in bigger directory.
No icon view, that one wastes more space.

Like on command line, we normally don't do a 'ls -l' when we want to
list a directory. 'ls -F' is enough most of the time.