Re: [Usability] Request for interface mockup

On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 14:26 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> Actually, on mature reflection, a simple scale up/down slider would be
> a lot simpler, and probably quite sufficient.  I'd guess more often
> than not people just want to make the icon bigger or smaller while
> maintaining its existing proportions (with the possible exception of
> text file icons), and the actual pixel sizes are unlikely to be of
> much interest.

Pixel sizes are pretty meaningless, but not having any feedback at all
would make it difficult for the user to guess just how much bigger they
were making the icon. If there isn't a live preview (which would look
pretty odd in the dialog) then why not use the new icon's size relative
to the default desktop icon size - probably displayed as a percentage?
Users will know whether they want to icon to be twice as large, four
times as large or half the size that everything else is.

Of course, nautilus has a pair of 'zoom level' widgets in its
preferences dialog that basically perform this same task - making icons
bigger/smaller. It might be nice to make all of these icon size widgets
look the same.

--
Kai Willadsen <kaiw itee uq edu au>