Re: [Usability] Launch feedback inconsistency

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:56:06 -0500, Logan Rathbone
<logan rathbone utoronto ca> wrote:

> I've always noticed that there has been some inconsistency in how launch feedback works in GNOME.  I find that with some Launchers I create, I do get launch feedback, with a proper hourglass cursor and all that.  But some Launchers I create do not have launch feedback, and the user is kept guessing as to whether he or she has successfully started the program.
>
> I do find that Launchers created with gnome-panel tend to have proper launch feedback most of the time, whereas ones created with nautilus (ie: on the desktop) never do.
>
> Could someone please advise?

Those apps are creating a .desktop file without a "StartupNotify=true"
line in them.    See
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2004-November/msg00022.html
and the other emails in the same thread.  It'd be great if you could
file bugs against the appropriate app (e.g. nautilus in this case)
whenever you see this problem.  It affects more than just the
hourglass--for gnome-2.10 it will be a large part of determining
whether windows get focus when they appear or not.

Elijah