Re: [Usability] The New File Selector

On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 21:56 +0300, Uri David Akavia wrote:
> [...]
> Is this the reason why there are no Nautilus viewers anymore, just
> applications? Or is this a personal bug with my setup?

Nautilus viewers are still there, but no longer in the context menu when
a file is selected (which, I'm assuming, is what mean when you say that
there are no Nautilus viewers; please correct me if I'm wrong).

I assume the decision to "re-organise" Nautilus viewers in this way is
that you should use an application to examine or manipulate a file, not
Nautilus. This would seem to fit in with the spatial model. I would
suppose, though, that because of how file mangers have been used in the
past few years, there will be exceptions to that rule. That is, Nautilus
will most probably allow you to continue to examine image files, audio
files, and [large] video files.

> [...]
> Correct.
> Apparently, it took some time for the most updated version to hit
> Debian.
> Question - what do you guys think about opening the file immediately
> when it is unique? Not just highlighting it?

That sounds like a reasonable enough request. Have you checked to see
whether this request is in Bugzilla? I only ask because I haven't
checked myself :)

> [...]
> In that case I wish to make a formal request for comments on the subject:
> An option for the location box to be always permanent.
> In such a case, when opening the file selector,
> the cursor will be placed in the location box.
> The location box will behave in the same manner as the free floating one.
> To clarify - it will update the options for directories and files automatically.
> When pressin Enter it will move to the directory, updating the fileselector
> or select the file.

Don't let this dissuade you, but aside from allowing the file chooser to
immediately return when a file entered into a location box, what you
propose sounds very much like how the location box works now. With that
in mind, you will need to present a very good argument as to why the
location box should be permanent.

> Yours,
>
> Uri David Akavia

Good luck,