Re: [Usability] The New File Selector

On Sun, 2004-04-04 at 16:44 -0600, Ryan McDougall wrote:
> The lack of location bar is kind of part of the spatial concept, the
> window *is* the location. We want to hide the file system dependant
> parts, and make the illusion that folders are actual spatial places. Its
> not perfect, I'm just giving you the reasoning behind the decision. The
> location can be accessed quickly with the File->Open Location or Ctrl-l.

Is this the reason why there are no Nautilus viewers anymore, just
applications? Or is this a personal bug with my setup?

> It appears you can access file that way, I just did it with gEdit by
> specifying the file ../file with GTK+ 2.4.0. The file becomes
> highlighted in the chooser dialogue, you just have to press enter to
> choose it.

Correct.
Apparently, it took some time for the most updated version to hit
Debian.
Question - what do you guys think about opening the file immediately
when it is unique? Not just highlighting it?

> Yeah, right now things aren't great for using nautilus instead of the
> file chooser, but if we design nautilus properly, it wont be more work.
> I rarely use the file chooser, but I sometimes use it.
>
> Also, I think you may be used to having too many directory levels from
> past organizational habits. Paring down the nesting may speed things up
> a bit. Personally, nothing I regularly use has more than two or three
> levels of nesting. The only deep nesting I have is on my music, but
> thats ok since I use rhythmbox to organize that.

Maybe, maybe not.

> Enter

The arrows didn't work before, this version is cool.

> Nautilus
> --------
> Click on one of the several shortcuts on the desktop
> Clicking down one or two directories (closing parent folders as we go
> via middle click)
> Choose a file among a list
> Opening the file
> Optionally close the current folder if I wont use it again, or leave it
> open to make things quicker for other file management tasks later.
>
> My nautilus looks more like your File Chooser. I think you are just used
> to using nautilus sub-optimally.

Probably.

> > A non-spatial file chooser? One that has the location bar enabled by
> > default (after switching an option), and allows you to use
>
> Thats possible, but a case would have to made to the developers, and
> argued. There are issues caused by variable UIs however.

What are the issues with variable UIs? If I almost always use Ctrl-L,
what is the harm in allowing me to have the location bar present
permanently?

> > tab-completion to select files. (It can be updated when you press enter,
> > this doesn't matter much)
>
> Do you mean update the chooser dialogue's path when a completion is
> made? There are arguments for and against doing that. What if you
> complete to the wrong place, and then you get lost? Its not a problem
> for you or I, but it could be a problem for others.

Since the new version of the file selector does have autocomplete, I
just need a permanent location bar that will behave exactly like the
location box - it updates the options automagically, and updates the
dialogue when you press Enter.

> > What we don't seem to agree on - the location bar should allow you to
> > select the file as well.
>
> It does. Its pretty handy, so I think I agree with you there too.
> Although I think it should use the mime associated app, not the nautilus
> viewer.

Sorry, it does. I guess my version was malfunctioning.

> Also, this is not a democracy, its a meritocracy; so having a position
> is different from arguing it persuasively. If you think you have a
> strong case, then state it as a formal proposal to Usability, Seth, and
> gtk-devel.

In that case I wish to make a formal request for comments on the subject:
An option for the location box to be always permanent.
In such a case, when opening the file selector,
the cursor will be placed in the location box.
The location box will behave in the same manner as the free floating one.
To clarify - it will update the options for directories and files automatically.
When pressin Enter it will move to the directory, updating the fileselector
or select the file.

Yours,

Uri David Akavia