Re: [Usability] Proposal for Spatial Nautilus: Shelf Location

I feel ambiguous about your "self" proposal.

I think the idea is good. I've used the desktop as your "shelf"
countless times (in Windows. With gnome I open a terminal and launch mc
:) )

However, it breaks the object metaphor. What it does, more precisely, is
to add aliasing to your desktop. Aliasing is conceptually harder by a
level of magnitude, and I think GNOME is heading the opposite way.

It's hard for a mind used to the object model to think that an operation
on a visible object actually changes also something that is hidden. And
i think a lot of complications arise... how do I remove something from
the shelf? Do I press delete or move it to the trash? won't that delete
the real file instead? That's just an example, I think that lots of
similar situations will appear.

I'm not saying that the idea should be dropped. I think it perhaps can
be adapted to the object model and be very useful; it just must be
designed carefully and matching the other concepts already present inn
the desktop.

	D.
--
Must it be assumed that because we are engineers beauty is not our concern,
and that while we make our constructions robust and durable we do not also