Re: [Usability] File Chooser Dialog

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Shaun McCance wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 10:32, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > Yay. I got tired of seeing all the mails about the GtkFileChooser.
> > And, so, I am sending the mockup that I made.
> >
> > http://www.gnome.org/~dobey/gtk-filesel-mockup.png

> > The 'Help' button would probably also be gone, since the help system is
> > way above GTK+ (ugh).
>
> Why not have the help button be optional (off by default, since there's
> no reasonable default action), and provide a means for the application
> to hook a callback function to it?  The help button could be useful for
> explaining things like extra options your application puts in the file
> dialog.

Good point, if Gnome is definately going to add a help button then it
needs to be factored into the design of the GTK dialog.  If Gnome needs to
provide help documents to describe the functionality of the dialog then
other GTK applications probably will too (eventually).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/