Re: [Usability] setting a default character encoding in gnome-terminal

Havoc Pennington wrote:

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 17:28, Stefan Sperling wrote:
Unfortunately the "default encoding" setting is not in any of my gnome-terminal's profile menus.... is this a pending feature that has not yet been added (I am using gnome-terminal 2.2.1) or has it deliberately been left out?

It just isn't done yet. I think there may be a patch in bugzilla that
was delayed due to the 2.4 freeze, but I could be wrong.

That's still very good news. I am looking forward to future versions.

Why does gnome-terminal ignore my LC_CTYPE environment variable?

LC_CTYPE=de_DE.ISO-8859-1 should work, did you leave out the de_DE part?
or en_US.ISO-8859-1

I left it out.

And why is the terminal encodings menu only partially customizable?
That is: Why can't I simply remove the two encodings "Current Locale" and "Unicode" from the encodings menu if I don't need them, leaving the menu with the single entry "ISO-8859-1"?

Basically the idea there is to avoid allowing users to create a broken
state (there are always two sane choices). If your current locale is
UTF-8 there's only one choice given, the two defaults get merged.
If this approach is taken too far, gnome is taking the risk to lose a certain type of user base: When I suggested to a friend of mine to switch from debian woody (gnome1) to slackware 9.0 (gnome2), he complained that he could not permanently remove all the desktop icons in gnome anymore. From _his_ point of view, a desktop without icons is _not_ broken. If you do not need a graphical file manger but only a subset of features, like for example the gnome panel, you should not pay the performance penalty of a graphical file manager. Maybe there should be an option to shut nautilus down entirely by default (if this is not too complicated to implement, I don't know much about gnome's internals) as it would probably cause quite a performance boost. Note that this does not mean that one should not be able to start nautilus at all after setting this option.

There should definitely be a preference option that disables gnome behaving like a nanny, at the user's own risk. I rather break things myself and fix them than being kindly taken by the hand by other software designers, who are effectively locking doors that should be unlocked. For me this implies a good way to learn about software I use (and programming in general), and is one of the numerous reasons I prefer open to closed software to an astronomical extend. I know it is you trying to be kind to non-technical end users, but thechnical end users are still out there, too, and should not be disappointed. Especially in the GNU system with its extremly low entry barrier to development
(I myself got sucked into programming by using GNU).

Anyway, I am probably running into open doors here. It is probably quite hard to design a desktop environment
that fits both technical and non-technical user's needs.

Before using gnome2, I used wmaker a lot, and I still miss a lot of its simple but powerful features, like spawning apps with customizable keyboard shortcuts - bypassing the mouse as the only interface to GUIs is a very good idea, as it gains users a lot of speed who spend most of their time at the computer typing. I'd really like to see these features in gnome. This feature even exists in KDE. Also, I'd like to be able to log out of gnome with a keyboard shortcut. This is possible in gnome 1.4 but not in gnome 2.2.0! What happened to sawfish? The list of key-bindable actions in the metacity version coming with gnome 2.2.0 on slackware 9.0 is quite incomplete. The one in gnome-terminal is great though! I hope the features I describe above are also on schedule but simply not done yet in gnome2.

In your case, I think setting LC_CTYPE and adding an encoding to the
menu are really wrong; you should be using LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1, not
LANG=C, then use the Current Locale option.

Alright, so one can simply add a preferred encoding to the language code in LANG. Nice feature I didn't know about. I do not have a lot of experience setting locales. I just tried what seemed most obvious to me first. Using LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1 works great.
Thank you very much.

Regards
stefan