Re: [Usability] Single click directory navigation?

On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 17:45, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-09-14 at 17:20, Gregory Merchan wrote:
> >
> > Not really. Double-clicking comes so naturally to so many that web browsers
> > have to ignore the second click. Single-click activation becomes costly
> > where selection is desirable.
>
> It's natural because so many places require it where they arguably
> shouldn't.

Or arguably should. Arguing about what is arguable is arguably useless.
Now, on to the real issue... :)

> > > Selecting multiple files at once also becomes impossible or hard to do.
> >
> > The smalltalk browser widget is a nice way to get single-click and multiple
> > selection. It's the widget seen in NeXT and MacOS X with multiple list
> > columns.
>
> There's also the point that in most cases where multiple selection is
> possible, even with double-click behaviour, you need to use keys
> anyhow.  I.e., ctrl-click or shift-click.  Since these are required
> *anyhow*, it's doesn't make much sense (to me) to say that double-click
> makes multiple selection easier, when in either single or double click
> scenarios our UI already mandates keybaord modifiers.

It would be nice if Ctrl-Click had the same effect as right-click. At
least, in cases where it is not the primary modifier for actions, such
as it is on PCs. However, despite the fact that keyboard modifiers are
needed for multiple selection, it's still impossible to select a single
row in the tree, with single-click activation. Also, since focusing the
treeview widget would automagically grab the selection, shouldn't the
item that's selected be the one you want, and thus the dialog should
close anyway? Or at least, that is where i see an issue.

"If something in the list is already selected, why can't I select
another file, without the dialog thinking that I want to open it or
save to it?"

> I'd be quite glad if the keyboard modifiers weren't necessary, in
> *either* case. ;-)

I'd be quite glad if a thought-controlled pointing and text-entry device
were available also. Then none of this would be an issue, and all the
usability lists would just go away, and we would all be living in
peaceful harmony with the machines...

-- dobey