Re: [Usability] RFP: File chooser user interface

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 20:06, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-09-08 at 21:57, Sean Middleditch wrote:
>
> > If we can define options to a certain kind of widget, it could help.
> > I.e, if these are always checkboxes and/or select/dropdowns, it narrows
> > things down a lot in terms of laying stuff out for good aesthetics.  We
> > don't have to code any kind of real limit in, just figure out which
> > widgets are common, and make the design fit that.
> >
> > We need a list of such things tho, not just let UI designers make mad
> > guesses.  ^,^
>
> Most applications do not need custom options.  And you cannot possibly
> account for all the ones that do need them.  The right API for this,
> which is already in place, is the following:
>
> void       gtk_file_chooser_set_extra_widget (GtkFileChooser *chooser,
> 					      GtkWidget *extra_widget);
> GtkWidget *gtk_file_chooser_get_extra_widget (GtkFileChooser *chooser);
>
> End of discussion.

Right, again, great API.  But we're discussing User Interface.  I just
dont' see how this can work.

The idea of an options button makes a lot more sense - then the app can
control the layout of the options more precisely, so when they truly do
need some arbitrary widgets, they can make sure they are layed out well
according to good UI design, and not just randomly stuffed somewhere in
a likely already crowded FOSA dialog.