Window maager tabs [Was: [Usability] Re: Usability digest, Vol 1 #911 - 12 msgs]

[Tabs]
> Well one reason I think it really fits well into the wm is that it allows
> users to actually create tab groups based on their tasks rather than the
> application that just happens to be used as the viewer for a doc. For

  But this requires the user to arrange their windows in stacks. Are the
users willing to do this? We'd like to remove the need for users to
create directories and categorize files, documents and data
"automagically" for them, how can we expect that they will organize
windows?
  I, for instance, use virtual desktops for this (not that I am
suggesting this as a solution...).

> instance it be handy to be able to tab together the web research I'm doing
> for a paper alongside the document that i'm working on. Implementing tabs
> per app is potentially confusing. Why can some windows be tabbed together
> while others can't?

  How many users do you think will do this? I doubt I would.

--
Michele Campeotto <ml micampe it>