Re: [Usability] checkbox or popup menu?

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003, Jacob Kolding wrote:

> Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2003 21:00:28 +0200
> From: Jacob Kolding <jacob omnia dk>
> To: Usability <usability gnome org>
> Subject: [Usability] checkbox or popup menu?
>
> In my app (http://discomatic.sf.net)
> I have a treeview of folders and I'm currently incorperating
> the ability to view the individual files of each forlder.
> But I want the user the be able to change whether files are
> shown or not.
>
> My question is then, should I use a checkbox that set the option
> globally for all folders (Like xcdroast does)

That might work

> or add a right click popup menu with a check menuitem for each folder?

options in context menus are difficult for most users to discover.

I'm really tired and my shoulders are liable to seize up entirely, so be
warned that I have merely answered your question rather than doing the job
properly and analysing the actual problem, looking at the software or even
figuring out if this is really a necessary option to begin with.

You know your own program best and I'd hope you know and understand well
other programs with similar goals and will take a minute to look at the
bigger picture and hopefully come up with an even better solution.

Good luck

Sincerely

Alan Horkan