[Usability] Rational for icons in button

Hi,

I'm having an argument with one of my co-workers on the "icon in button"
as used in GNOME (and never elsewhere, except maybe old Borland
programs).

So, I was wondering what were the pros which led to use of icons in
buttons ?

While I agree putting icon in every button would be silly (it can be
hard and sometime impossible to use an icon for every actions), I think
default actions should have their icons, which will ease recognition for
users (well, my co-worker has the opposite opinion..)

/me hopes he doesn't revive an old flame :)
--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat mandrakesoft com>
Mandrakesoft