Re: [Usability] File Chooser Dialog

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 18:25, Steven Garrity wrote:
> > ... for a Help button, we already have a standard
> > location for it.  If it's not there, the space it
> > would occupy is dead space.  So it's essentially a
> > zero-cost addition to the interface.
>
> I disagree - filling up whitespace (or "greyspace" in this case)
> is no a zero-cost addition. You are adding to the visual complexity
> of the window. If the button should be there, make room for it - if
> not, leave the space empty. But don't put it there simply because
> there is room.

There's no need to "make room for it".  The room is already there.  And
it's not as if it's dead space we just happen to have.  It would be dead
space specifically because the Help button isn't there, as the left-most
position of the button box is for the Help button.

And I am not argueing that the Help button should always be there, just
because there's a place for it.  If you think that, you should re-read
my original email.  I specifically said that the Help button would have
to be turned on explicitly by the calling application, and that it would
have to provide a callback for it, as there is no reasonable default.

--
Shaun