[Usability]Re: Notification Area guidelines

> On Fri, 2003-03-14 at 00:19, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> This whole conversation seems slightly broken to me - we have this
> wacky implementation detail, which is an applet that can contain
> arbitrary icons, and we're trying to figure out some way to use it
> that doesn't suck. But we aren't even sure what the problem is to be
> solved or why we have the thing in the first place. ;-)

One of the things i would love for this hammer to hit is the confusion that
some users have with applets: Having to move them around and having them
pop-up in unexpected places

If there is a notification area, in wich all those icons of that type show
up, it makes the desktop that little bit easier to understand and consitent
again.

I would also think that most not-skilled end users would not use CPU
monitors or other fancy and/or cool looking applets, but only need/want
simple menu's, clock, volume, wireless-status and maybe mail/messaging on
the panel(s).

If all these basic types of notifications and functionalities are embeded
into the notification area it would reach this goal of simplicity &
consitency while allowing everyone else to have cool-foobar-applet on our
panels at any location

    -- Chris