Re: [Usability]Notification Area guidelines

Hi,

On Thu, 2003-03-13 at 02:22, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 00:35, Mark McLoughlin wrote:

> > > I had a proposal, but it seems foobar is no more, so that one is down
> > > the drain. The issue now remains that the panel should handle gravity
> > > inside of it correctly for applets instead. Personally, I only use the
> > > foobar, so now I'm left with no choice but to salvage that code for my
> > > use. The normal panel just can't provide the same interface that the
> > > foobar does, no matter how many menu applets you write and embed on it.
> >
> > 	Now that's a helpful comment. Why *can't* an edge panel with a menu bar
> > and window menu applet provide the same interface as the foobar? (apart
> > from bugs which you should log to bugzilla). That's the assumption on
> > which the decision to remove the foobar was based.
>
> There is not tasklist menu applet.

	No, there is the "Window Menu" applet.

> The edge panel does not have rounded
> edges.

	True, I don't think that's particularily vital though.

> The edge panel is GTK_SHADOW_OUT.

	Only the outside edge of the panel. I.e. there's no shadow at the
screen edge.

> Applets are *moveable*.

	Dreadful. We do want a "lock applet to panel" feature, but it hasn't
been implemented yet.

>  I don't
> like the text in the panel anyway, and typically patch it out
> immediately.

	Which, what, where ?

> The idea I had for the notification area, clock, and the
> tasklist menu that is in the foobar, was to combine them into a widget,
> which would be a part of the foobar.

	i.e. your proposal is to make the notification area part of the foobar.
That wouldn't have solved the problem of "the notification area should
always be on the panel"for everyone.

Good Luck,
Mark.