Re: [Usability]Notification Area guidelines

Hi,

On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 15:40, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 21:20, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> > > This may make sense in a very small amount of use cases. I wouldn't throw
> > > the things out entirely which may be useful in a very minute number of
> > > cases.
> >
> > Do you have any example use cases in which this approach would make sense?
> > Many Windows programs do this (as does acme), reducing the value of the
> > notification area as a useful tool for the user -> overloaded with icons =
> > too much information.
>
> VirtuaGirl, an RandR docklet if we had one (similar thing in windows
> exists).

	It may be obvious to some people what either of would be, but its not
to me. So you might want to ellaborate.

> > I agree. I have a proposal to post later on about how to implement the
> > notification area in a different way, which would hopefully solve some of
> > its problems due to being an applet.
>
> I had a proposal, but it seems foobar is no more, so that one is down
> the drain. The issue now remains that the panel should handle gravity
> inside of it correctly for applets instead. Personally, I only use the
> foobar, so now I'm left with no choice but to salvage that code for my
> use. The normal panel just can't provide the same interface that the
> foobar does, no matter how many menu applets you write and embed on it.

	Now that's a helpful comment. Why *can't* an edge panel with a menu bar
and window menu applet provide the same interface as the foobar? (apart
from bugs which you should log to bugzilla). That's the assumption on
which the decision to remove the foobar was based.

	Random moaning with no explanations will not get your problems fixed.

Good Luck,
Mark.