[Usability]Application specific path conventions

As an administrator, I'm noticing that application settings are not
being stored in intuitive locations.

For example, galeon stores its drop down list history in gconf path
/apps/gnome-settings/galeon-snapshot/ while most other settings are in
/apps/galeon-snapshot. Why is this? Why do applications store some
settings in ~/.gnome2, and some in ~/.gnome2_private?

An, administration, or architecture, section in the HIG may be useful to
address these issues.

I've seen posts by other people which complain about these things.
Perhaps all that's needed is clear documentation (maybe a README file in
the directories?) that describes the point of them? I am clueless as to
why apps put settings into anything other than ~/.appname/, until
someone gives me a good reason :)

Thanks,
Mat.