Re: [Usability]Usability and how far Gnome developers take it

On Sat, 2003-03-08 at 21:20, Craig March wrote:
> Hi all,

<snip/>

> I was just wondering how far Usability is taken by Gnome Developers in
> following the guidelines which have been defined? How much testing goes
> on, and what type?

So far as serious usage - what is always needed is more/better
evangelism.  Usability bugs in core GNOME is generally taken seriously
and dealt with accordingly; however, 3rd-party developers tend to be a
problem.

I've found in general that most 3rd party gnome/gtk developers:
 a) just don't know about the hig and usability efforts
 b) believe that the hig is only for core gnome apps, and isn't for
their 3rd part apps/gtk-only apps
 c) that the hig is stupid and don't want to follow it

In the first two cases, authors just need to be educated; a quick bug
report or e-mail, nicely phrased, with links to the relevant documents
and this list, usually go a long way.

For the third case... education might work, but usually it ends up being
a long debate, or a lost case...