RE: [Usability] Re: [Fwd: Re: Your final comments on gswitchit in 2.4...]

> From: Andrew W. Nosenko [mailto:awn bcs zp ua]
> But because 3th layout (Ukrainian) is used wery rare, then cyclic
> switching "Eng -> Rus -> Ukr -> Eng -> ..." is uncomfortable.
>  Need fast
> switching "Eng -> Rus -> Eng -> ...".  Solution: "Eng <->
> Rus" switching
> do from keyboard and make Ukr accessible only over mouse by
> clicking on
> the applet.  GswitchIt allows this (remember secondary layouts?)  The
> dot.  All are happy.

Sure. It makes sense that you'd like to cycle through some layouts with the
keyboard, but not all. It's the use of the term "secondary layout" here that
makes it confusing. A simple checkbox saying "available via keyboard
switching" or something even clearer would be better.

> But I see discussion when some amount of
> peoples says that support of cyrrilic keyboard layouts in GNOME is
> unneeded, too complicated and should be reduced to state of
> unusability.

I have never seen anybody say that. You know that nobody has said that.

Lots of people are doing their best to get the functionality that you need
into GNOME in the best possible way. It's discussion and attention-to-detail
like this that has made GNOME so great. Don't panic yet.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com