Re: [Usability] [Fwd: RE: Your final comments on gswitchit in 2.4...]

1) Do a nice flag, or just the name of the layout.  If
the users want to change the flag, then point them at
the png you're using and ask them to customize the
flag there.  No GUI need.
It seems I will go this way. Also, I will add an option just to show the layout name instead (as people here advised).

2) Sergey said that there was no GUI for this one.
True.

3) Either you can show the preview on real time, or
you should not show it.  It doesn't looks like
something useful anyway, so I guess that the best idea
is just to dig it out.  If you want to keep it, maybe
you should generate png or svg's for each layout,
store them, and show them at request, instead of
generating a whole ps, and using ggv.
No pregeneration is possible here - there are too many combinations. Well, I can get rid of it (actually, I had too many troubles with bonobo and ggv - possibly just because I am not smart enough to use them). But I always thought about this feature as a kind of "bonus eye candy" (which I did not see in MS OSes up to Win2000 - I wonders whether MacOS or XP provide something similar). So, folks, I would love to hear more voices on this - whether this is just bloat or a nice touch:)

4) That may be useful.  1 checkbox.
Yes. From my POW it is not discussible:)

5) needs no GUI.  Just pick an unused, sane, hotkey
and document it.
Unfortunately, no. In Russian world (sorry, I again refer to the country which I know best of all) people use Shift-Shift, Alt-Shift, Right Control - and I'm afraid there is no reasonable "default" here (which would take at least 60% of users). So this should be visible in UI.

I also don't understand what's all these
groups/layouts/primary/secondary businness, so I guess
users don't care anyway.
Do you mean I have to put secondary group checkboxes into "Advanced"? Well, it is just one checkbox per group - so I am not sure that 1 checkbox is worth 1 button just to show/hide it.

For the tabs' name (Option #1, etc.), I don't see what
other options you can have that make you use a
notebook at all.
Well, actually Options 1/2 will only appear in "Advanced" mode - that's how I see it.

Thanks a lot for the comments,

Sergey