Re: [Usability] Drag handles for dialogs and other windows

(Finally getting back to this thread...)

On Sat, Jun 21, 2003 at 02:18:12AM +0200, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Gregory Merchan wrote:
>
> >   Should GNOME dialogs and similar resizable windows provide a drag handle?
>
> I don't really see a reason why, do you? Is emphasizing the resizeability
> of a dialog that important? Shouldn't the dialog just be designed not to
> need resizing?

I phrased the question poorly, implying that all dialogs should be resizable.
That was not my intention. The question should have been:

  Should resizable dialogs and similar windows provide a drag handle?

The similar windows are mostly preference and property windows which,
 like dialogs, contain mostly controls.

The purpose of the grip is not to emphasize resizability, but to make
resizing easier by providing a larger target.

As has been stated elsewhere in the thread, resizability is desirable
when content has to be scrolled.  I wouldn't be surprised to find large
differences in what people find a comfortable amount of visible content.

Cheers,
Greg