Re: [Usability] Drag handles for dialogs and other windows

Hi John,

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, John Levon wrote:

> > of a dialog that important? Shouldn't the dialog just be designed not to
> > need resizing?
>
> How do you do that when the dialog contains a list box or similar ?

If the dialog contains a listbox, it should:
a) Automatically get a listbox scrollbar if there are more items than fit
in the available space;
b) have an original size that's large enough to fit a minimum amount (say
3 or so) of listbox items.

Of course comboboxes can extend past a window border when opened.

> This is what I don't understand about the "dialogs should never be
> resizable" crowd.

I'm not really arguing one way or the other; I'm just trying to establish
that making dialog windows explicitly resizable isn't fighting symptoms of
a more fundamental problem.

regards,

--
Reinout van Schouwen			Artificial Intelligence student
email: reinout cs vu nl			mobile phone: +31-6-44360778

Softwarepatenten bedreigen Europa. Teken op petition.eurolinux.org!