Re: [Usability] Re: New way of accessing software (WAS: Re: Big Panel menus (32x32))

On Sat, 2003-06-14 at 23:58, Koen Hufkens wrote:
> At 23:31 14/06/2003 +0200, Daniel Borgmann wrote:
> >I don't see no mental mess anywhere. If you have 3GB of music for
> >example, the folder will be a mess, whatever you do (unless you use a
> >huge hierarchy of genre and artists which would be horrible). But you
> >don't have to care about this if you can just tell the computer what
> >kind of Music it should show you (what you recently listened to, your
> >favorites, music from a certain artist or genre, and so on). In fact it
> >would not even be necessary to have a Music folder, if the system could
> >simply take all the music files on your computer (and other computers?)
> >for the database.
>
> So if I'm not mistaken you want to go from a concept where the user uses
> folders to store stuff and manually manage all his files to limiting the
> amount of folders and manage them virtually if you want. Filters could be
> applied on all sorts of criteria, even time last or most accessed. If it
> would be possible that would be a great step forwards in managing files.
>
> But I think the question "in panel or on desktop or wherever" wouldn't
> really matter if things would go in that direction because you limit the
> amount of actual folders you make and space isn't an issue anymore. Given
> that system, things would condense automatically so you could even put
> everything in on Nautilus window.

Yes but you still have to physically store those files somewhere. :) And
if $HOME is displayed on the desktop (like Dave and others are
suggesting), then I'm worried that this could ride us into deep trouble.
Unless we change this model AGAIN at a later point.

> ps. Just a sidenote, working with filters and virtual folders -if you can
> call it that- would make it pretty hard to backup specific stuff without a
> really good tag/labelling system.

True, the future is offering interesting problems. ;)

Daniel