Re: [Usability] Foobar Menu Layout

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 04:00, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> So,
>
> I always feel a little bit deflated when I see "arbitrary" changes in vendor
> releases of GNOME. In this case, I'm sure the Ximian foobar menu was changed
> to be similar to their existing 1.4-based product, and to make up for users
> not grokking where things should be under Applications or Actions. So, not
> entirely "arbitrary" in this case, but it would be nice to keep these kinds
> of things synced...
>
> The GNOME foobar menu layout:
>
>   Applications  Actions
>
>            vs.
>
>   Programs  System  Help
>
> Discuss! :-)

This is slightly offtopic, but very much critical to gnome's general
direction, and is a major difference between xd2 and vanilla gnome: xd2
has removed preferences from the menus and has put them in control
center instead.

See it here:
http://www.idi.ntnu.no/~lindkvis/xd2/screenshots/control-center-intl-keyboard.png

I think the first post I ever made to this list was asking to have
gnome-control-center --use-shell used as the default again, but I've
long since given up on that. But I never got used to the idea of
preferences in the menu, and the way ximian has done it looks really
great.

So I would like to put that up for discussion too...

--

Mark Finlay <sisob eircom net>