[Usability] Re: Proposed AbiWord preferences dialog mockup

removed some CC's

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, David Adam Bordoley wrote:

> > I'm going to have to agree with Alan. Auto-save is not
> > an obvious thing to have enabled and can have
> > undesirable side-effects.
>
> see my other email. I think saving in general is non-obvious, which is why
> so many people seem to forget to do it despite our best to prevent it.

I dont approve of the whole notion of removing save entirely.
Nice theory doesn't really work yet, machines are still too slow and it
has to be completely reliable for older (former Microsoft crash
crash crash Word) users to trust it.

However for things like sticky notes it is a good idea and perhaps
gradually other applications will try it but I dont think abiword should
embrace this innovation just yet (but hey, Dom is the one you would
really need to convince).

You could probably do it as a plugin, test it out and gradually switch
people over.

If you really dont like the splash screen you might might convince your
favourite linux distribution to disable it by default.  (For Knoppix and
Morphix I would particularly want to disable it).

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/