[Usability] Re: Proposed AbiWord preferences dialog mockup

Dom Lachowicz writes:
> The glyph prefs are particularly crypic and
meaningless to 99.9% of people i
> would guess. Are there sane defaults that can be
used instead. Seems odd to
> have a preference for one specific language.

This only holds true if you think that .1% of the
world's populus speaks [Arabic, Hebrew, Yiddish]. This
may not be the best way to present this to the user,
but nonetheless, it needs to be presented (or at least
determined - see above about problems determining this
sort of stuff) somehow. We have a halfway decent way
of auto-determining this stuff, but it's less than
perfect.

What I meant was that even within users using those languages, few will have an understanding of what those prefs mean. Much better to do this behind the scenes and have it work automagically.

> You should default automatic save to on, thats a
nice feature :)
It impacts on performance and is not really
necessary.  Besides,
(depending on compile time options) if abiword
crashes a Document.CRASHED
file will be created so you wont lose any data.

I'm going to have to agree with Alan. Auto-save is not
an obvious thing to have enabled and can have
undesirable side-effects.

see my other email. I think saving in general is non-obvious, which is why so many people seem to forget to do it despite our best to prevent it.
> 1. Kill the splash screen pref. Splash screens are
poor excuses for long
> load times. It is especially unneeded now that
gnome has application launch
> feedback.

Abi's load time is non-existant. Splash screens aren't
just for mitigating long load times (ala OpenOffice),
but also for marketing and branding purpose, and as
such, are desirable for us to have in there.

tog has a pretty good article on usability vs. branding [1]. Splash screens reduce usability in favor of branding. I won't belabor the point though. dave [1]http://www.asktog.com/columns/048GoodGrips.html