Re: [Evolution-hackers] Re: [Usability] Evolution 2.0

From: Rodney Dawes <dobey ximian com>

I think you mean "abstract component embedding application" rather than
"file manager". And anyway, this probably belongs on nautilus-list
instead. :) -- dobey
On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 13:02, Calum Benson wrote:

Of course in an ideal world your mail client would probably just be
another view in your file manager, since it already has all of these
components, and emails and attachments are just files anyway :o)

I think calum does actually mean "File Manger." In an ideal world you would create a desktop "folder"[1] based on a Mail Folder template. Each mail folder could be setup for different mailboxes (one for imap mail, one for local mail etc.) Its icon would represent the state of the folder, ie. whether there is new or unread mail etc. Mail files could be deleted by dragging them to the desktop trash can etc. Is this possible now? Probably not, but we can definately take this idea into account so in the far future this type of integration is possible. I even filed a bug once against evo requesting a nautilus view of ~/evolution, though labeling the folder ~/mail probably makes more sense for what I wanted.[2] dave [1] I use the term folder loosely here. A folder doesn't necessarily have to have a direct relationship to unix directories. [2] You still would have a localization and translation issue though i guess.