Re: [Usability] Evolution 2.0

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 10:23:37AM -0400, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 07:23, Daniel Borgmann wrote:
<snip>
> > The only usability advantage (which you point it) seems to be related to
> > window switching. I wonder if this couldn't be solved more elegantly on
> > the window manager level.
>
> Yeah, but then -- why do we bother having tabs in the web browser?  If
> we followed this argument, we should be looking for a window manager
> level solution there as well.  :-)

Some bugs are harder to fix than others.

Some people are looking for a window manager level solution; specifically,
tabs in the window manager.

Even so, the window manager can only do so much. Applications have to set
the correct hints on their windows.

There are also some notions of efficiency that have been or surely will be
falsified. Despite that, communication takes time and people can be
thick-headed.

Forbidding duplicates of some windows helps with the window clutter.
The mailbox window could have an item on the Tools menu which opens
the addressbook or somehow activates an already running addressbook.
The addressbook might do the same with the mailbox. There could be
other ways to switch between related windows.

Cheers,
Greg