Re: [Usability] Evolution 2.0

As somebody who hates massive morphing windows, I want to comment on
this point:

* This design simplification would also allow components to be
  launched independently from each other.  We could
  potentially even launch the shell without certain components
  (e.g. launch only the mailer) if the user wants it that way.
  If we wanted to have separated apps a la OS X we could
trivially do that too.

Please, yes!  I don't care if they're separate applications.  As far as
I'm concerned, application is an implementation detail that shouldn't be
have to be exposed to the user.  What matters to me is that I can view
my contacts and my mail at the same time.

This is somewhat possible now by opening new windows, but the interface
isn't really designed to work that way, so it feels wrong.

--
Shaun