Re: [Usability] Standardizing Find and Replace - 2nd pass

Gregory Merchan wrote:
:
:   http://www.phys.lsu.edu/students/merchan/shots/FindReplace2.png

[...]
: The options are not present for just "Find". It should proceed quickly
: enough as a wrapping, partial-word, case-insensitive match, that fiddling
: with the options would only slow down the user.

Excuse me, but your proposal seems wery inconvenient to me.

Just imagine that I use your "Find" dialog:
how I can to do {case-sensitive, regexp, backward} search?

: "Find and Replace" is more delicate because it changes the document,
: so options are allowed to fine-tune the operation. If there were no options
: here, then the user would have to frequently "Find Next" and carefully
: "Replace". Here, the options can make the operation faster.

Is I right when think that this means "find *and* replace", not a "find
*or* replace in the one bottle"?  (Just because merging of these two
functions into one is the way to damage your document by a chance...)
If I right then imagine now that I use your "Find and Replace" dialog:
If I want to replace why default button is "Find next" (moreover, may be
in this context "Skip" is better name)?  And regexps absent again...

: Pressing Escape activates the Stop button, and closes the window.

Totally agree about Escape.

--
Andrew W. Nosenko    (awn bcs zp ua)