Re: [Usability]Re: Short article on OSS usability

On 31 Jan 2003, Calum Benson wrote:

> Conclusion: posting a hand-drawn sketch or something schematic you've
> drawn in dia would probably give usability folks a warmer, fuzzier

I attempted to use the GUI prototyping in Visio but it was pants.
The GUI prototyping in Visual Studio made more sense to me.

I did not think that adding such shapes to Dia would be useful, in Visio
it seemed like just a desperate attempt to add features.  classic "When
all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail".

Similarly I would have thought that using Glade would make more sense than
using Dia.  When i say using Glade i mean sharing .glade files, not just
taking screen shots.

Rather than getting a job, I have been drawing* (usually based on Visio)
various shapes for Dia that interest me.  More positive feedback (and
willing developers, nudge) would be appreciated by those involved with
Dia.

Please do file bug reports and requests for shapes in Gnome Bugzilla.
There is a Dia component in Bugzilla called shapes, intended for
people to request shapes that would be of use.

I would be happier drawing shapes that people genuinely want.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

* drawing, not programming.  I don't intend to do programmed objects/shapes
for Dia.

PS Anyone got a tutorial on how to write more succinctly?