Re: RE : [Usability]Insert/overwrite, how should i do a usability study?

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, John Levon wrote:

<snip>

> > *BUT* AbiWord is not a e-learning tool.  It not our job to explain the
> > user what the "Return" key means, nor how to shutdown a computer, nor
> > what "Insert" is used for.  We're not a do-all-be-all tool.  We can not

Is there an e-learning tool for Gnome?
Is there some way for a user to put Gnome in Training mode and say "i am
clueless, explain everything"?
/me tries to remember if this is in effect what Apple Balloon help does.

> > If the user doesn't know what the different keys in its keyboard means,
> > he has several choices:

> > 2) ask to anybody
> > 1) try it and see
> > 3) rtfm

> > Probably in that order...

Asking people is usually the easiest answer, although it can be quite
disillusioning if no one else knows.

> Regarding some more concrete suggestions, other than the cursor changes,
> have you paid thought to :
>
> o visually highlighting INS/OVR on mode change

highlight it in what way?
suggestions were made of having red green light but instinctively i dont
like that idea (non standard, colour based, less space available in status
bar).

I guess i should make sure there is a Status Message.

> o converting the "INS/OVR" into English

Writing Insert/Overwrite takes up too much space on the toolbar, abiword
already causes me problems on my small monitor.

> o a tooltip for INS/OVR

i definately need to make sure there is a tooltip, i had not thought of
it.  (there does not seem to be one in abiword 1.0.3).

> o status message in the status bar on changing mode

I will add this.  I am concerned that it might not stay in the status bar
for long enough but it is certainly worth trying.

> The latter could say e.g. "Over-write mode. Press Insert to return to
> insert mode"
>
> All of these suggestions have some problems, but perhaps food for
> thought.

Suggestions appreciated, and hopefully this will sink in and i will learn
to think of these things myself (and i need to read more).

Sincerely
Alan Horkan