Re: [Usability]Re: Notification area (was: Music player UI)

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 15:55, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> Of course, I'm going to feel like an idiot now (just now, you ask?),
> since as I tried to write some examples here, I realize everythign falls
> under notification - gaim notifying me of a buddy logging on, evolution
> notifying me of new mail, firewall apps notifying me of connection
> attempt... Only, they allow control of the app thru menues on the icon.
> (launching new IM in gaim, opening firewall configuration dialog, etc.)
> Does that still fall under the notification area "charter"?

Hi,

As an user I regularly follow gnome mailing lists, so I want to explain
what Notification Area and Applets means for me from an User POV.

Notification Area:
let's "standalone apps" to notify user of relevant events, it also
enable user to quickly execute typical commands (receive mail, next
song, etc.) without the necessity of switching his attention from what
he's doing atm.

Applets:
"smalls utility apps" living in the panel but totally independent and
not a way for controlling an app from the panel (like the GnomeICU
applets of gnome1.4, it was really horrible mainly because always in my
panel even if GnomeICU wasn't running, now this problem is solved,
thanks to the notification area an app can place its notify icon only if
it's up and running and then disappear once closed)

Just my 2 cents.

Michele Cella

PS
sorry for the intrusion and even more for my bad English :(