Re: [Usability][Fwd: search file application]

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 15:07, Mark Finlay wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 16:52, Julien Olivier wrote:
> > From: Julien Olivier <julo altern org>

> > I'd like to make some comments about the way the "search file"
> > application works in GNOME2.
> >
> > When you look for "valentine" for example, it looks for files named
> > "valentine" in ~/. The problem is that it ignores files name
> > "ValEnTine", files named "My Valentine" or files named
> > "my_sweet_valentine.ogg". I think it would be much useful if the search
> > was case-insensitive by default and if it searched "*YOURTERMS*"
> > automatically instead of "YOURTERMS".
> >
> > I also think it could revert to the current way when you're looking for
> > files in / instead of ~/ in order not to slow searches too much.
> >
> > What do you think of that ?
>
> Yeah, I would agree. If the user wants to search for a specific name
> then they can use "TERM"

It can be very fast if you use medusa instead of find.  msearch is
mostly find friendly.  It's missing a few option and need to reconcile
indexes, but it handles case and content much faster than any of it's
competitors.

--
__C U R T I S  C. H O V E Y__________________
chovey cox net