Re: [Usability]A Brief Comparrison of Gnome 2.2 & KDE 3.1

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 10:26, Per Cederberg wrote:
> MArk Finlay wrote:
> > Another thing he mentions is not being able to find the control center.
> > I couldn't agree with him more. We need to move Desktop Preferences,
> > System Settings and Server Settings out of the Applicaions menu and into
> > their own top level menu.
>
> Apart from these inconsistencies, the applications menu is also
> quite long. Especially being one of the most commonly accessed
> menus in Gnome (at least for new users).

Sometimes I forget about this because I use Mandrake Linux, which has
what for me is a vastly improved menu structure.  It includes a task-
based menu (with the slightly non-idiomatic title "What to do") which
is how I usually run evolution (What to do -> Use the Internet ->
Read and send mail) and gnome control center (what to do -> Administer
your system - Configure Gnome).  Or I use the top-level Configuration
menu.

It would be worth comparing menus in this and other distributions that
change the defaults.  In some cases (like Mandrake Linux) the menus
might have been modified across desktops -- there's a What to do menu
in KDE, and also a Configuration menu, although the items run different
programs where appropriate of course, e.g. KMail instead of Evolution.

>  but I'd like to
> throw some additional menu entries into the loop -- "Home Folder",
> "Network Servers", "System Tools", and "Help".

> PS. Is it only me, or do others also get confused and expect "the
> foot" and "Applications" to be two separate menus? (And I've never
> even owned a Mac...)

I hardly ever use the "Applications" menu.  I sometimes use the Office
or Terminals or Sound menu.  Applications is so vague I don't think
of looking there, I think.  I don't want an application, I want a
terminal emulator, that's a tool not an application, in my world.

Liam