Re: [Usability]sft+ctl+w v. ctl+q

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 19:07, Luis Villa wrote:
> So, which is more correct- sft+ctl+w v. ctl+q? I've finally gotten used
> to ctl+q nearly everywhere, but nautilus and now epiphany are using
> shft+ctl+w. Do the usability people have an opinion? care one way or the
> other? As a lowly user, it is beginning to irritate me that something
> with effectively the same user-visible affect is different in some of
> the core apps. But maybe I'm talking out of place :)

Well, they are two different options, depending on point of view :
ctrl+q is Quit, shft+ctrl+w is Close All Windows.

>From a user perspective, this is kinda silly, since they are
(user-experience wise) the same thing.  I suppose *technically* tho,
they are different (since Nautilus still runs and draws the desktop even
if you close all windows, and Epiphany will[should] continue downloading
things you'ev asked to download even if all browser windows are closed).

Perhaps, from a user perspetive again, it should be the Close All
Windows keybinding; from what I've gathered, it's prefered to think of
an application from a document view.  I.e., you don't quite Gnumeric,
you close documents, until you're out of documents (or close all
documents at once).  Of course, then, ctrl+shft+w is a silly keybinding,
since that is implying Window, not Document, and one could argue that is
wrong, since you could have many Windows open for a single Document (a
la le Gimp).  But now I'm rambling...